Sunday, June 5, 2011

This is My Island in the Sun

To sum up our trip to Zanzibar, two words come to mind: “Amazing” and “Exhausting”. We had a fantastic time relaxing, exploring, eating, meeting new people, and speaking to people in English. You really never appreciate being able to easily communicate with those around you until you are unable to. You also never realize how many different words there are in the English language until you have to explain them all, and select your words carefully. I am completely in awe of people who are fluent in other languages... and a smidge envious too.

One thing I did not expect to learn about here in Tanzania is racial prejudice. I know that sounds silly, but it really didn't cross my mind. Sure people stare at you when you walk down the street...you get used to it. So maybe some babies cry when their mother absent-mindedly holds them near you (it's a self-esteem booster, let me tell you). It makes you want to yell "So, I don't own a mirror and I haven't taken a shower...what of it?!" (I didn't think to bring a mirror with me, and I have yet to find one to buy. And on a side note: Zanzibar, the land of the most beautiful things in the world, is not a good place to see yourself for the first time in a week.) Now, I must admit, sometimes when Collin and I see a "White" person now...we stare at them too. It is funny, but I always used to assume that if I saw someone here who was "White", then they were American. We have yet to meet an American. In Zanzibar we met 3 girls from South Africa, a man from Belgium, a couple from Bahrain, and two girls originally from Brazil, now living in Doha, Qatar. All of whom I would have looked at and assumed that they were American. Sometimes it is amazing what we absent-mindedly assume about people based on what we see of them. (I think there was an important ethical message tucked somewhere in all of that)

Now for your next Swahili word: Mzungu (White person) We hear this word a lot.

Ok, now I know you all want to know more about our trip to Zanzibar, and I have a lot to say. You know that saying "A picture's worth a thousand words," well I took about 200 pictures...so go put on your comfy pants and brew yourself a cup of coffee! Just kidding, really, I will let the pictures do the talking (on Facebook), but I will explain a little about the trip before I upload the pictures (you didn't really think you were getting off that easily, did you?).

Collin and I were staying towards the North end of Zanzibar, on the coastal side (East). At high tide (about 5:00 am), there is basically no beach at all, and at low tide (noon), you can walk about 200 yards (total guess) out into the ocean without having to swim. There were all sorts of creatures that we saw (mostly little crabs, a few sea urchins, sea stars). At low tide you could walk for miles along the beach (which we did) up to the village near by and find restaurants, hotels, and souvenirs ("a special price...just for you...because you are my sister." I'm betting that man didn't have a sister...and if he did, she should be very insulted). Last night we took a "Sunset Cruise" on a Dhow (a traditional Zanzibari boat). Unfortunately, it was a little cloudy, so it was more of a "oh, yeah, I think I can see the sun" cruise (unless you are also keeping up with Collin's blog, in which case I believe the sunset was "crimson and violet"), but still tons of fun, as we got to snorkel for about 30 minutes too. I have mixed feelings about snorkeling. I like looking at the fish...until something touches me. Then the happy feeling is gone and I want out. I also had trouble reminding myself that if I was breathing through a snorkel, I didn't have to come up for breath every few seconds (I'm a slow learner...what of it). After our cruise we went back to our hotel for dinner. They were having a special buffet dinner and it was scrum-delicious. I even tried calamari (tried...I tried...but rubber bands are much more in my price range).

This morning we left our hotel right after breakfast in order to spend a few hours in Stonetown (the historical city of Zanzibar). We tried to buy some souvenirs, but that whole Mzungu thing got in the way. You know you are in a touristy area when they give you the price of something and your first instinct is to laugh. ("But I have to eat!"..."yeah...me too, buddy") Now Collin and I have started communicating in Spanish about money matters, it's working quite well.

Tomorrow, we return to our regular lives of working on 4H things...now aren't you glad I'm letting the pictures speak for themselves?

1 comment:

  1. I want to go to Zanzibar! It sounds so pretty. Look at you, swimming in the water and all. And here I thought you were afraid of water. Silly me. I've got to see these pics.

    ReplyDelete